Treasure Coast Citrus Soup
1 cup of red lentils
1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
1 butternut squash (or one can pumpkin puree)
1 cup Natalie’s Orange Juice
2 tbsp Natalie’s Pure Lemon Juice (optional)
2 tsp sugar (optional)
1.5 cups veggie broth
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
cayenne pepper to taste
salt to taste
1. Cut squash in half, removing seeds and stringy membrane.
2. Place squash cut side down on baking skin.
3. Pierce skin with a fork a few times.
4. Cook squash at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until soft.
5. Chop onions and caramelize in a soup pot.
6. Add broth as needed.
7. When onions are done, put in mushrooms and saute until liquid is released and cooked down.
8. Rinse lentils. (For quicker soup, soak them in the broth)
9. Scoop squash flesh away from skin and puree with orange juice.
10. After onions are caramelized and mushrooms are done, dump all ingredients into the onion pot.
11. Simmer gently until lentils are cooked.
If using the squash, you may want to add onion juice to cut sweetness.
If using canned pumpkin, you may want to add to make sweeter.