Blood Orange Creme Brulee
4 Tbsp. Butter, room temperature
1 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 cup Natalie’s Blood Orange Juice
4 tsp. orange zest
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cups milk
Granulated sugar, for topping
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix up the custard: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter & sugar until
well combined. Add eggs, flour & salt. Mix until smooth & thick. Add in Blood Orange
juice, zest, lemon juice & milk. Mix just until combined.
3. Bake custards in a water bath: In a tea kettle or small pot bring about 3 cups of water
to a boil. Divide custard mixture into 6 8oz ramekins. Place ramekins in a large baking dish. Fill the baking dish with enough boiling water to come up about 1 inch on the outsides of the ramekins. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the middles of the custards are barely set.
4. Chill custards: Carefully remove custards from the water bath using tongs. Let them cool for about 10 minutes. Then, place them in the refrigerator to chill for several hours.
5. Make the sugar coating: Cover each custard with a thin layer of granulated sugar. Melt & brown the sugar with a kitchen torch or place the custards under the oven broiler & broil for 5-8 minutes, watching very carefully as the tops brown.
6. Serve immediately or chill for 30-40 minutes.