Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
2 blood oranges, thinly sliced
2 tbsp granulated sugar
½ cup butter, softened
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
⅓ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup Natalie’s Blood Orange Juice
Zest of 1 blood orange
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
Mint for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a round cake pan with a sheet of parchment.
2. Sprinkle the 2 tbsp of granulated sugar evenly on the parchment paper and spray the inside of the cake pan with cooking spray.
3. Arrange the thinly sliced blood oranges in the bottom of the cake pan.
4. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 2 minutes.
5. Add in the vanilla extract and continue to beat over medium speed.
6. Turn the mixer to low speed and beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl in between each egg.
7. Turn off the mixer and add the flour, then at slow speed begin to incorporate the flour until just combined (careful not to overmix).
8. Pour the batter into the cake pan and gently spread the batter over the oranges.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Let cool completely and then turn the cake pan upside down to reveal the upside down cake.
11. Slice and serve with fresh mint.